Summer Travel Map

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Off to a good start in Albertville

April 29, 2008
Albertville, AL

We had a good day today. Geri got some laundry done, and I started a few projects around the house. Rick and Annette are planning to sell their current house and build another one, on the other side of town closer to Annette's parents. As a way to help out, I'll spend a bit of time this week on some simple projects that'll help get the house ready for the market.

I started out this morning with a quick trip to Lowe's. You can't start a project without buying some "stuff", and these projects will involve some painting. I picked up some trim paint and tools (roller, tray & liners, disposable brushes, masking tape, etc.) and headed home. I also priced pre-hung doors, as they have one that's installed backward and doesn't quite fit. I'm still researching this one, as the existing door seems a bit narrower than the standard 32" panel. I'll take the molding off tomorrow to see how badly the builder actually hung it before we decide on a fix or replace strategy.

Since it was a little cool and breezy today, and supposed to be better tomorrow, I decided to hold off in the painting and focus on another project, replacing the kitchen faucet. When I emptied the cupboard to create work space, I found a box with an under-sink filter that had never been installed, so I decided to add that while I was under there. Other than the fact that sink cabinets keep shrinking over time (why else would it be a tight fit crawling in there?) and these new-fangled faucets have nuts and connections that defy almost any wrench known to man (and metric, to boot), it was pretty straightforward.

For dinner tonight, we headed over to Annette's parents, Gerry and Lois. Gerry put on a quite nice spread with slow-cooked beef and pork, mashed potatoes, asparagus, and carrots - with ice cream sundaes for dessert. Needless to say, we all ate well.

Well, that's it for tonight. Tomorrow is "painting day"...

No comments: