Summer Travel Map

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Up and at 'em

August 6, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO

After an early night yesterday, we were both up early today. It's strange that we can feel the effects of the time zone changes (we're now in Mountain Time - we crossed in western Kansas even though I'd thought that the time changed at the Colorado border) after driving as opposed to flying, but there you have it. We left the Eastern Time Zone on Thursday and have gained two hours, and everything's off. Of course, it could be the altitude as well.

This morning, the pups got a good walk on a complete circumnavigation of the park. We're staying at a place called Garden of the Gods RV Park, so named because of the local park of the same name, just a few miles north of us. We took a quick ride through the park today and found it to be a miniature version of the Sedona area with lots of red rock formations. We'll stop back later in the week with the camera for some close-ups, maybe when there are fewer tourists (I really don't like taking pictures of landscapes with lots of people in them.

I made a quick run to the local Home Depot today for a more permanent patch for the leaky water pipe and some other hardware. Before we left CT, I fashioned a prototype of a laptop stand that'll allow me to use the computer without monopolizing the dining room table. Version 1.0 was OK but not as stable as I'd wanted (and I can't afford having the laptop take a tumble) so I revised the way it is attached to the wall for v1.1 and it's much better. I'll continue to play around with it until we're back in AZ for the winter, when I'll build V2.0 from maple (to match the coach woodwork) instead of plywood.

This afternoon, we made a trip to the local Camping World store for a few things. Primarily, I wanted to pick up a new water pump since I've bypassed the accumulator tank (where the leak is) and there are variable speed pumps that are quieter, stronger, and demand-sensitive (i.e., don't need the accumulator). I'll swap pumps during the week (the old one will make a good emergency backup, and the fittings are all pretty much standardized) when I get a chance.

Tonight, we made a cod with mushroom recipe, substituting sea bass (frozen and not the greatest), coupled with risotto with mushrooms and peas. It was pretty good but not the best rendition we've ever had. They can't all be home runs, I suppose.

Speaking of home runs (what a clever segue!), tomorrow's plan is to drive up to Denver (about 65 miles) for an afternoon Rockie's baseball game at Coors Field. If the weather holds, it should be fun. I got the tickets a few weeks ago at stubhub.com for a pretty good price. We have tickets to see the Diamondbacks when we're back in Phoenix in early September for Geri's dental work, as well.

The rains came later tonight, starting around 8:15 PM MDT, and it's been coming down pretty heavily since then. Both dogs are hiding out somewhere; they're not in their usual spots. DirecTV is losing the signal and I put the iPod on for some music. We're finishing our wine and it looks like another early night. Of course, I've got a sink full of dishes to do first; better get going...

No comments: