Summer Travel Map

Thursday, March 4, 2010

It's a Digital World

March 4, 2010
Peoria, AZ

Duh, right, coming from a guy who started playing with computers in 1976. Yes, but today is different, marking the end of an era.

I mentioned the batch of stuff to be sold on eBay and, truth be told, the primary motivator was my decision to finally bite the bullet and go 100% digital on the photography front. With a quick series of "Buy-It-Now" sales (did I set the prices too low?), everything I had in the film world is gone.

Geri's been poking at me for a while about the film stuff, primarily because she's tired of working around the boxes of film stored in the refrigerator. But I knew she was right. I've carried around my 35mm (Nikon F6) and medium format (Mamiya 645E) stuff for the last four years worth of travel, and shot maybe 20 rolls of film total. And essentially nothing in the last two years. I really thought I'd use some film during last year's trip to Alaska, but the lure of digital's immediate gratification and quality (using the Nikon D200 and D70 with very good lenses) was impossible to resist.

So, I'm sad to see it all go but happy to have made the right decision and move on. Of course, I'll have to think of something to buy with the proceeds. Maybe a long lens I've been talking about for years? Probably the high-end remote for the D200. Oh, and let's not forget paying for all the paint and lumber we've thrown at the house. And maybe a little left over for this summer's diesel bill? Sounds just about right...

2 comments:

Wayne said...

I was surprised last summer to see that the professional photographer, who shot our garden for this coming July issue of Martha Stewart's Living, has also gone entirely digital. I had given her a hard time about still using her large format with film a few years before and she had told me that you could not count on the color being right with digital, but she too changed her mind. Now she has the same camera with a digital back in place of the film cartridge hooked to a PC so she can instantly see each photo as it is taken. Seems much more sensible to me.

Bob and Marlene Rea said...

And don't forget the 'killing' you made on selling the gold-plated pressure washer.