Summer Travel Map

Monday, May 16, 2011

Rolling North, mapping it Old School

May 16, 2011
Mobile, Alabama to Athens, Tennessee

Today was what we used to call a "travel day" several years ago, before we tried to slow down while on the road. With only a week between graduations in Alabama and Connecticut, we're rolling "old school", putting in back-to-back days with more miles than we'd like.

We left Mobile early, around 8:00, after doing all of the necessary tasks. After slipping onto I-10 for one exit, we were soon back on I-65, heading north. We fueled up just before Montgomery. We looped around Birmingham on I-459 and were soon on I-59 heading for Chattanooga, back in the Eastern Time Zone. Quickly switching to I-24 and then I-75, we pulled over in a Rest Area for a quick night's sleep. I whipped up some cheesesteaks with some of the pieces trimmed from the beef tenderloin we picked up in Alabama. With a strong DirecTV signal, we were able to relax a bit watching DWTS. We'll be calling it an early night.

We did have a little change in procedure, with respect to the PC I use on the dash for navigation and engine monitoring.  When I powered it up, I got the Blue Screen of Death, and I wasn't able to recover to an earlier set point.  Since we had to get going, we defaulted to our Atlas and Interstate Guide.  I thought about the errors, mostly kernel page faults.  When we stopped for lunch, on a hunch, I pulled out the add-on memory card and it fired up fine.  Back in business.  Cost of repair: $0.  Love it...

No comments: