Summer Travel Map

Monday, July 23, 2012

Vancouver Follow-up

July 23, 2012
Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada

So, I've learned enough to be dangerous with a video.  Well, maybe not dangerous but Steven Spielberg has nothing to worry about at this point.  I posted this short video to Facebook, but also wanted to share with our non-Facebook friends.

While we were in Vancouver, BC, earlier this month, we took a whale watching cruise from the Steveson section of Richmond (just south of Vancouver), across the Strait of Georgia, around Saturna Island, and back.  I wasn't sure of the size of the boat and the conditions, but I knew that they dress all their passengers in heavy-duty protective suits.  So, I chose not to bring all the expensive camera gear and took a chance relying on our small point-and-shoot camera (plus our phones, of course).

Well, we saw plenty of wildlife and did get a few pictures, even though I could have brought the Nikon gear without any issues as it turned out.  When I realized how difficult the Orcas were to photograph (they're smaller and quicker than the humpbacks, minkies, and fin whales we've seen on other trips), I decided to try to capture some video.  It's not HD-quality, but not bad for a 4+ year old pocket camera.


Once I had the video moved over to the computer, I had to learn a little bit about video editing before I could go much further.  I figured out how to get the clips I wanted, crop them to the segments I liked, and adjust the audio (one was louder than the other and you can hear all the wind noise).  Another fun project!

No comments: