Summer Travel Map

Friday, July 18, 2014

July 14-18: A Quick Stop In Brookings, Oregon

Monday was another easy driving day. I never get tired of saying that. US-101 north from Eureka, a quick fuel stop in Port Orford, just over the border into Oregon, and an early arrival at the Elks Lodge in Brookings. There were several open spots, so we headed for one of the pull-thru sites and were soon all settled in.

Like a lot of the West Coast, southern Oregon can have a long but late growing season. We found lots things blooming, even if we didn’t really know what they were!



As I mentioned in a prior post, Elks are on the move this summer. We had a couple of nights where all 18 spaces in Brookings were full, and there were RVs trolling through parking lot early in the morning looking to see who was leaving.

Although our stay started out cloudy and damp, the weather cleared a bit toward the end of our visit and I was at least able to get one sunset picture. It would have been better if we were down closer to the shoreline, but the color started as I was walking the pups and all I could do was pull out my phone!



And finally, the rest of our trip is assured to be trouble free.




Years ago (decades, really), someone told me, “Always pay attention to what’s on the ground in front of you. You never know what other people will step over and never see”. So I do. There are patches of clover all throughout the lawn at the Brookings Lodge, and I spotted this four-leaf clover on one of our morning walks. It’s the third one I’ve found over the years…

No comments: