Summer Travel Map

Friday, May 30, 2008

Family events

May 30, 2008
Broad Brook, CT

Thursday evening was the first of the family events that brought us to Connecticut this summer. Melisa (Geri's youngest) graduated from Manchester Community College with her Associates Degree in Social Services. She attended classes part-time for several years while working multiple jobs, so this was the culmination of a lot of hard work. Her son, Jesse, works with Asperger's syndrome (sometimes known as Asperger's disorder, more at http://www.webmd.com/brain/autism/tc/aspergers-syndrome-topic-overview), and that's helped shape Melisa's career choice. And her "honey", Paul, has been very supportive of her educational goals, so that's helped a lot.

Here is a link to some pictures from the graduation:

http://picasaweb.google.com/GeorgeandGeri/MelisaSGraduation

After the ceremony, we all adjourned to Melisa & Paul's house for pizza and cake. There was plenty of both (due to a communications snafu, both Alicia and Geri bought the same cake from the same store). We sat by the "burning barrel" that kept the chill and bugs at bay for quite a while in the evening.

On Friday, Britt (Pat & Al's youngest) had her "Senior Banquet". Apparently, that's what's done these days instead of a "Prom". Who knew? In any event, she went with her boyfriend, Keith, and they both looked nice for the occasion. I snapped a couple of pictures before they left:

http://picasaweb.google.com/GeorgeandGeri/BrittSProm

The interesting part for me was when Keith came to pick Britt up -- sans necktie. Since he didn't know how to tie one, Geri asked me to do it for him. Any idea how long ago the last time I tied a tie was? Work went "business casual" in 1996! Sure, I've had to wear a tie a few times since then, but could probably count the number of times on available digits. I knew there was no way I could fashion a good knot on him (I was never able to do that), and ended up in front of the bathroom mirror. Apparently, it's like riding a bike -- you may be a little shaky but don't really forget. Once in front of the mirror, it all came back to me. I could do it with my eyes closed -- as long as I was standing in front of the mirror. Go figure!

No comments: