Summer Travel Map

Thursday, January 14, 2010

For want of a $3 gasket...

January 14, 2010
Phoenix, AZ

We did a great job of unloading the coach, if I do say so myself. We got an early start, Geri got the laundry started right away, and we were all done by 11:30. I decided to take advantage of this to head over to the local Detroit Diesel/Allison shop to get the small oil leak we've had for some time fixed. I was able to figure out that it was really a leak in the hydraulic system, not the engine or transmission. More specifically, it's a leak in the power take-off (aka "PTO") mounted on top of the transmission that drives the engine's fan. The operative word here is "top" of the transmission. I knew I needed to get it in the shop because I can't get to the fittings while laying on my back on the ground. I knew I needed to get it addressed soon, because what started as a quarter-sized spot under the tranny has grown to about a 6" mark.

They got me in right away and were able to confirm that the PTO is leaking (as opposed to the hydraulic lines or fittings) and that's where things bogged down. The PTO uses three gaskets. W. W. Williams had two gaskets in stock. After calling all over town, it seems like the only gaskets to be found are part of a $200 rebuilt kit that the PTO distributer doesn't want to break open. Hmmm. Fortunately, it won't hurt us too much if they need to keep it overnight, but I definitely don't feel comfortable leaving it sit in their yard waiting for parts.

Hopefully, they'll track down the gaskets tomorrow. The surprising good news is that the Service Advisor offered to drop me off at home rather than make Geri drive all the way to pick me up. Geri took out some pasta sauce that was hiding in the freezer, which went very well with some angel hair and a Curran Sangiovese from California. Good deal!

No comments: