Summer Travel Map

Friday, July 27, 2007

Spending a day at home

July 23, 2007
Grand Bay-Westfield, NB

Today was a good day to spend at home. The weather was fair, and I mean that in the great-to-poor continuum, not forecaster-speak. It was generally cloudy all day, with a few very short peeks at the sun, which was fine with us. We took advantage of the day to stay home and get comfortable. In the morning, I finally got around to working through several days worth of pictures to select, resize and organize ones for online posting. I also caught up on email and took a quick spin through the financial files and reminders. Then, I headed down the hill to the park office, where they have a Wi-Fi connection. In less than 30 minutes, I was able to move some money around, update my Quicken files, upload photos for sharing, post several blog entries that were composed offline, and exchange all my Outlook email folders. I’ll do this again later in the week.

In the afternoon, we did a “campsite deployment”, putting out all the various things we’ll use this week. Since the site is pretty large (40’ wide by 80’ long, I’d guess) and there’s a nice grassy area with picnic tables in front of the coach, we decided to skip our usual patio setup (lights, rugs, etc.) and set up by the tables. I got the grill and stove out and set them up as level as I could, but they still need tweaking). We put the new “screen room” up in a grassy area, and I ran some of the rope lights around for an accent. Everything was fine until a Class C coach from Quebec pulled in next to us and wanted one of the picnic tables (apparently, prior occupants of our site had moved 2 tables here from other sites). Merlin and Maya Lynn didn’t particularly care for someone taking some of their lawn furniture!

For dinner, we grilled marinated pork tenderloin we’d picked up at Sobeys, with roasted red potatoes and snow peas. It went nicely with a Tres Picos Garnacha from Spain. This is a thick, fruity, make-your-teeth-purple wine that’s very food-friendly.

After dinner, we sat outside in the screen room until after 10 PM, which was very nice. It’s a pleasure to be able to sit out without getting eaten alive by the bugs!

No comments: